Introducing Hospice New Zealand
Hospice NZ exists to support member hospices in their work caring for people who are dying. As the national organisation the primary goal is to give voice to the interests, view and concerns of our member hospices.
All hospice services throughout the country are members of Hospice NZ – 30 full members and 5 associate members.
Our purpose is to ensure all New Zealanders have access to the best possible hospice care at the end of their lives.
Hospice care – what is it?
- Hospice is not just a building; it is a philosophy of care. The majority of people receiving support are cared for in their homes.
- The goal is to help people make the most of their lives; to live every moment in whatever way is important to them.
- Hospices can provide care and support for anyone living with a life limiting condition – e.g. heart failure, motor neurone disease, MS or cancer.
- Hospice care is for the whole person, not just their physical needs but also their emotional, spiritual, and social needs too.
- Care is also for families and friends, both before and after a death.
- Hospices are independent charitable organisations providing care and support completely free of charge to people using services.
- Whilst free of charge to people using hospice services it costs a lot to provide, in 2013 it will cost just over $75M nationally.
- As an essential health service provider, hospices receive the majority of funding from Government; financial support from the community is essential to meet the shortfall – in 2013 the total required from fundraising efforts is $30M nationally.
All hospices throughout the country share the same vision
Anyone who is dying has the opportunity to celebrate their life with the help of hospice.
Values are a cornerstone to our work
- Patients always come first – every decision we make is based on this belief
- Caring – We genuinely care about our people, patients and their families’ needs.
- Respect – we demonstrate respect in all our dealings with patients and their families, recognising diversity.
- Professionalism – in all instances we will act professionally and with compassion
- Determined – we are driven to work in partnership with our communities
Visit Hospice New Zealand
Are you interesting in hosting a fundraiser for your charity? Contact your local Trader or, alternatively you can email your details to us at email@example.com or call us on 0800 441 529 and we’ll connect you with a Phoenix Trader in your area.